Mini Carrot-Apple Cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (6 to 6 1/2 ounces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 packed cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup fresh unfiltered apple juice
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely grated
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
For the cupcakes: Place an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line two 12-cup mini muffin tins with mini baking papers.
Whisk the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and allspice in a medium bowl to blend. Using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter in a large bowl until fluffy. Add the brown sugar and beat until blended. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat in half of the dry ingredients, then the applesauce and apple juice. Beat in the remaining dry ingredients. Fold in the currants and grated carrot.
Drop 1 well-rounded tablespoon of batter into each paper liner. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean, about 17 minutes. Cool the cupcakes in the tins for 5 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool completely.
Frost each cupcake with 1 heaped teaspoon of frosting and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis