Round and Round Pasta
- 1 pound rotelle pasta
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 medium zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausages, cooked, cooled and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature (4 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus extra for seasoning
For the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes. Place the pasta in a large bowl.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots, carrots and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Cook until the carrots begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Add the orange juice, zucchini and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Cook until the juice thickens and the zucchini is tender, about 2 minutes. Add the zucchini mixture to the pasta.
For the dressing: Whisk together the mascarpone cheese, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt in a small bowl until smooth.
Pour the dressing over the pasta. Add the tomatoes and sausage slices and toss until coated. Season with salt.
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee