Spaghetti with Beef, Smoked Almonds and Basil
- 1 pound (1-inch thick) beef tenderloin steaks *see Cook's Note
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Herbes de Provence
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling, plus 1/4 cup
- 1 pound spaghetti pasta
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 packed cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup chopped smoked almonds
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Place an oven rack in the upper 1/3 of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Place the steaks on a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the Herbes de Provence on both sides of the steaks and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 10 to 12 minutes for medium-well. Let the steaks rest for 10 minutes.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water.
Place the cooked pasta, tomato mixture and smoked almonds in a large serving bowl. Toss well and thin out the sauce with a little pasta water, if needed. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and chopped basil. Slice the steaks into 1/4-inch thick slices and serve alongside the pasta.
*Cook's Note: The steaks can also be grilled over medium-high heat on a preheated grill pan or gas or charcoal grill for about 5 minutes each side.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.