Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil Bruschetta
- 1 (32-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, washed and spun dry
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large French baquettes, sliced 1-inch thick (about 36 slices)
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4-inch thick
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
On a baking sheet, line up baguette slices. Toast in oven for about 3 minutes or until light golden brown. Working quickly, rub the remaining garlic on the toasted side of each slice and then lay a piece of mozzarella cheese on top. Place bread back in oven and melt cheese slightly, about 45 seconds. Remove from oven and spread one tablespoon of the tomato mixture on each piece.
Place bruschetta on decorative platter and garnish with basil leaves.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis