Grilled Scallop Skewers on Jicama Salad
c.1997, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved
- 4 servings
- About 30 large scallops
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshlyground black pepper
- 1 large or 2 small jicama, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, leaves picked and chopped coarsely
- 2 Italian Roma tomatoes, cut crosswise 1/4-inch thick
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- 8 10 -inch bamboo skewers, soaked in cold water 30 minutes
Preheat grill. Place scallops in large bowl Whisk together lime juice and olive oil in small bowl. Drizzle 3 tablespoons lime/oil mixture over scallops and let marinate 5 minutes. Combine rest of lime/oil mixture with mayonnaise. Place jicama in a medium bowl and pour dressing over; season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Thread 67 scallops on one skewer then take another skewer and insert it into scallop skewer about 1/2-inch away from and parallel to the first one. Repeat with remaining scallops to form 4 skewers. Season skewers with remaining salt and pepper and place on the hot grill. Grill 1 minute on first side then flip over and grill 1 minute on other side, or until just opaque in center. Remove from grill. Mix cilantro into jicama and divide it between four plates. Garnish each plate with tomato slices, diced avocado and one scallop skewer Serve.