Grilled Tuscan Tuna Salad
- Grilled Tuna:
- One 1 1/2 pound fresh tuna steak
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Canola oil, for brushing
- Salad Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons for serving
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 anchovy fillets, patted dry and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, smashed to a paste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin Tuscan olive oil
- Honey, if needed
- One 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed well and drained again
- 1 cup Gaeta olives, pitted
- 1/2 bulb fresh fennel, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces mixed baby greens
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh-flat leaf parsley
- Loaf of Tuscan bread, grilled and drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil
For the tuna: Remove the tuna from the refrigerator 20 minutes before grilling. Heat a charcoal or gas grill to high for direct grilling. Mix together the fennel, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Brush the tuna with canola oil on both sides and sprinkle with the spice mixture. Grill until charred on both sides and cooked to medium doneness, about 5 minutes per side. Remove and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into medium dice.
For the salad dressing: Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, rosemary, anchovies and garlic in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Slowly pour in the olive oil while whisking, until it all emulsifies. For a sweeter and thicker texture, whisk in a teaspoon of honey at a time, until desired taste and consistency is reached.
For the salad: Combine the beans, olives, fennel, onion and tuna in a large bowl. Add the dressing and gently toss to coat. Add the greens, basil and parsley , season with salt and pepper, and toss again.
For serving: Mound the salad on a platter and sprinkle the remaining lemon juice over the top.
Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse