Braised Red Cabbage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 red cabbage, sliced 1/4 inches thick
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2 sweet apples, quartered and sliced thin
- 6 allspice berries, lightly crushed, wrapped in cheesecloth and tied
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses or cane syrup (the cane syrup is lighter in color)
Melt butter in a deep saute pan with a cover. Once the butter's melted, and the foam's subsided, add the cabbage and stir to coat.
Add salt and pepper, to taste, red onion, apple, and allspice packet, cover the pan and lower the flame to low-medium, turning once in a while, until the cabbage is soft, but still slightly firm, about 15 minutes.
Remove lid and deglaze with the red wine, bring up flame and cook, uncovered, until the wine is reduced by at least half. Add the red wine vinegar reduce a little, add the molasses or cane syrup and toss to coat. Cook 2 to 3 more minutes, remove allspice packet, season with salt and pepper, to taste.