- 3 (1-inch thick) slices from an 8 by 4-inch sourdough round
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup peeled, seeds removed, and diced English cucumber
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped Italian parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons freshly julienned basil leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado, cut in half, pitted and flesh diced
Preheat a grill or grill pan to high. Drizzle both sides of bread with 3 tablespoons oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill on both sides until nicely marked and somewhat crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove from grill, set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, toss together tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, garlic, capers, parsley and basil. Drizzle in the vinegars, remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss again. Let sit for 15 to 20 minutes in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, cut bread into 1-inch cubes and toss gently with the vegetables. Gently fold in goat cheese and avocado and adjust seasoning, if necessary.