One Special Spaetzle
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 3/4 cups flour, plus extra for kneading
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 quarts low sodium chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Special equipment: pizza wheel
In a medium bowl, combine water, flour, eggs and salt with a wooden spoon. Place dough mixture on a clean cutting board. Flour both sides of the dough and roll into a long rectangle, approximately 12 by 2-inches and 1/8-inch thick. With pizza cutter, cut into strips, 2-inches in length and 1/4-inch wide.
Bring chicken stock to a boil in a large saucepan. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Drop spaetzle in batches into boiling stock and cook until pasta floats to the surface. Remove pasta to the ice bath. Drain spaetzle and hold on sheet pan. Continue with the other batches.
In a medium saute pan, add butter, and melt over medium heat until butter turns a light brown. Add garlic and cook until it becomes lightly colored. Add spaetzle to the pan to heat through. Add parsley, cheese, salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve in a bowl, garnished with Parmesan.
Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine