Tomato and Black Olive Orzo Salad
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound large orzo pasta
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, torn
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups canned chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 roasted red pepper, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoncini peppers, stems removed
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Place the tomatoes on a sheet tray and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until the tomatoes are tender and just bursting slightly but not falling apart, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente (following package instructions). While the pasta is cooking, make a vinaigrette by pouring the juice from the bottom of the pan the tomatoes cooked in into a mixing bowl. Add the feta, vinegar, mustard, garlic, sliced basil, oregano, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Slowly pour in 3 tablespoons of the olive oil while whisking to lightly emulsify. Drain the cooked pasta and toss with the vinaigrette. Add the grape tomatoes, olives, chickpeas, roasted red pepper, pepperoncini peppers, onion and chopped basil and toss to combine.
This is a great salad to serve with Mediterranean Sardines with Lemon and Garlic.