Blini with Smoked Salmon
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 extra-large egg
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, clarified, divided
- 1/2 pound smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- Fresh dill sprig, for garnish
Combine both flours, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and 1 tablespoon of the clarified butter, then whisk into the flour mixture. Heat 1 tablespoon of the clarified butter in a medium saute pan and drop the batter into the hot skillet, 1 tablespoon at a time. Cook over medium-low heat until bubbles form on the top side of the blini, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook for 1 more minute, or until brown. Repeat with the remaining batter. (I clean the hot pan with a dry paper towel between batches.) Set aside.
To serve, top the blini with a piece of smoked salmon. Add a dollop of creme fraiche and a sprig of dill.
2004, Barefoot in Paris, All Rights Reserved