- 3 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves, lightly packed
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 11/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup good mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Greek-style yogurt, such as Fage Total
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, shaken
- Salad greens for 6
- 3 small Bibb lettuces, cut in half through the core
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
Place the scallions, basil, lemon juice, mustard, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Puree for 15 to 20 seconds to make a smooth mixture. Add the mayonnaise, yogurt, and buttermilk and blend until smooth. Transfer the dressing to a container, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour for the flavors to develop.
Arrange the lettuce, tomatoes, and onion artfully on salad plates and drizzle with the dressing. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.
Cook's Note: Ina substituted Boston lettuce for Bibb lettuce when taping this episode.