- 1 1/2 pounds French string beans (haricots verts), both ends removed
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
Blanch the string beans in a large pot of boiling salted water for just 1 1/2 minutes. Drain immediately and immerse in a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. When they are cool, drain and set aside.
Heat the butter and olive oil in a very large saute pan over medium heat and cook the garlic for 1 to 2 minutes, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned. Add the string beans, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss together. Reheat the string beans and serve.