- I cup plus 3 tablespoons (250 grams) sugar
- 1/4 cup (75 grams) honey
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons (100 grams) water
- 3 cups plus 3 tablespoons (500 grams) blanched, whole, almonds
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon (50 grams) Kirsch or simple syrup, optional
- Scant 1/4 cup (50 grams) butter
Place the sugar, honey and water in a saucepan and bring to a strong boil. Place the almonds in the food processor and grind until coarse. Remove the boiling sugar from the heat and pour over the coarse almonds. Blend until smooth. This may take 10 minutes or more, depending on the strength of the food processor. Remember, food processors are not usually strong enough to yield the same consistency as the almond paste that you can buy. If your mixture is too thick and the food processor is straining, you can add a little Kirsch or simple syrup to the processor. Add the liquid slowly and stop when the processor is moving more freely. The quality of almond paste is determined by how smooth the consistency is.