Chili con Carne
- 2 medium onions
- 1 clove garlic
- Olive oil
- 2 level teaspoons chili powder
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground cumin (or crushed cumin seeds)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound (455 grams) chuck, minced or ground
- 7 ounces (200 grams) sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
- 1 fresh red chile, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes (400 grams)
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
- 5 ounces water
- 2 (14 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained (400 grams)
If you are going to use the oven method, preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
Chop up the onions and garlic in the food processor and fry in some olive oil until softened. Add the chili powder and cumin and a little seasoning.
Chop up the meat in the processor and add to the pan, cooking it until slightly browned.
Place the sun-dried tomatoes and chile in the processor with the oil and blend to form a paste. Add these to the beef with the tomatoes, cinnamon stick, and a wineglass of water. Season a little more, if need be.
Bring to the boil, cover with greaseproof paper and a lid, then either turn the heat down to simmer and cook for 1 1/2 hours or transfer the pan to the oven for about 1 1/2 hours.
Add the red kidney beans 30 minutes before the end of cooking time.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.