Roasted Tomato Bisque
- Two 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes, drained of their juices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 shallots, quartered
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 to 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a mixing bowl, combine the drained whole tomatoes, olive oil, light brown sugar, carrots and shallots, and toss to coat. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Place the vegetables on a silicone or parchment-lined baking sheet and roast until caramelized, about 30 minutes.
Heat a soup pot over medium heat. Add the butter and cook until foaming. Add the crushed red pepper and garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Then add the sherry. Cook until all the liquid has evaporated and the alcohol has cooked off, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the roasted vegetables, crushed tomatoes and 1 cup chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.