- 2 pounds chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 1/4 cups Chipotle Vinegar BBQ Sauce, recipe follows
- 4 slices Texas toast, brushed with butter and toasted until golden
- Southern White Sauce, recipe follows
- Pickled Red Onions, recipe follows
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Add the oil to the skillet, and then the chicken thighs. Sear both sides of the chicken until golden in color, about 3 minutes per side.
Lower the heat and add in the Chipotle Vinegar BBQ Sauce. Bring to a simmer, and then place in the oven to finish cooking the chicken, 10 to 15 minutes. Let the chicken cool a bit in the sauce. Then, using two forks, shred the chicken into medium pieces and hold in the sauce until ready to serve.
Lay down the Texas toast and put a nice amount of the saucy, shredded chicken on top. Artfully drizzle Southern White Sauce on top of the chicken and then pile on the Pickled Red Onions. Pick it up or fork and knife it, either way it's delicious.
Chipotle Vinegar BBQ Sauce:
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium clove garlic, grated
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, peeled, quartered and pureed in a food processer, solids strained and juice reserved (about 1/4 cup onion juice)
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1 to 2 tablespoons adobo sauce, depending on spice desired
Add the ketchup, molasses, vinegar, 1/4 cup water, mustard, oil, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, black pepper, garlic, onion juice, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce together in a saucepot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once at a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes to combine the flavors. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
Southern White Sauce:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Combine the mayonnaise, cider vinegar, lemon juice and some salt and pepper in a bowl. Use immediately or store in airtight container in fridge for up to 4 days. Great as a salad dressing too!
Yield: 1 1/2 cups.
Pickled Red Onions:
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large red onion, peeled, halved and sliced into half-moons, 1/4-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
To a saucepot, add the vinegar, 1/2 cup water, sugar, salt, red pepper flakes to taste and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Add the onions to a heatproof container and pour the boiling pickling liquid over them. Let the onions sit for at least 30 minutes. Right before serving, add in the parsley.