Tuscan Stovetop Baked Beans
- 1/2 pound thick-cut pancetta, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 15 -ounce cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 -ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 to 1 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Bottled balsamic glaze, for drizzling
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring, until crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add the onion, celery and carrot to the drippings in the pot; sprinkle with the Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 more seconds.
Deglaze the pan with the wine, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Simmer until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Add the beans, tomatoes and chicken broth and simmer until the beans are soft, about 20 minutes. Stir in the lemon zest and juice; adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
Remove from the heat and stir in the pancetta; transfer to a serving dish. Top with the parmesan and cover to melt. Drizzle with balsamic glaze.
Photograph by Paul Sirisalee
Thank you! your flag was submitted.