- 4 slices thick-cut (1/4-inch) slab bacon
- 8 large cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, cut into 8 wedges through the core
- Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing, recipe follows, for serving
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 small bunch fresh chives, cut into 1-inch batons
- Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh dill, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- Kosher salt
Special equipment: 8 wooden skewers
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Line a baking sheet with a larger sheet of parchment paper so that the paper extends over the edges of the pan by a couple of inches. Lay the bacon slices on the paper and bake until golden brown and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain on paper towels until cool.
While the bacon cooks, in a small bowl, stir together the tomatoes, balsamic, salt and sugar. Set aside to marinate at least 15 minutes.
Cut each bacon slice into 4 pieces. Cut the iceberg wedges in half crosswise. On a skewer, pierce a tight section of iceberg, then a tomato half, then a piece of bacon. Repeat with more lettuce, tomato and bacon. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, making 8 skewers.Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing:
In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, dill, Dijon and pepper until well combined. Gently stir in the blue cheese. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Yield: About 1 1/2 cups