- 1 1/4 lb pork butt, cut into large chunks
- 2 tablespoons Hawaiian or kosher salt
- 1 lb salted butterfish or salmon, soaked in cold water for 3 hours and drained (see note)
- 1 lb lu'au or fresh spinach leaves
- 12 ti leaves (you may substitute corn husks or banana leaves
Place 6-8 lu'au at one end of ti leaf. Top with one part of pork and one part of fish, then cover with 6-8 more lu'au until meat and fish are completely wrapped. Roll ti leaf up tightly. Wrap another ti leaf in the opposite direction to form a flat bundle, and tie with string. Repeat with the other five parts of pork and fish until you have six laulaus. Steam 3-4 hours, making sure to add more water when needed.
Note: To make your own salted fish, rub 2 tbsp Hawaiian or kosher salt over 1 lb of fish fillets and let stand for 1 hour before using (no need to soak it in cold water afterwards).