Black Risotto with Cuttlefish: Risotto Nero con Seppie
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped, plus 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound cleaned cuttlefish, ink sac retained
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 packets squid ink
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice (Vialone Nano brand preferred)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
Bring 3 quarts water to a boil and add the roughly chopped onion, carrot, and the bay leaf. Prepare an ice bath. Plunge the cuttlefish into the boiling water and cook for 30 seconds. Remove and submerge in the ice bath 1-minute. Drain and set aside. Keep the cooking liquid warm on stove.In a 12 to 14-inch frying pan with 3-inch sides, heat the olive oil and finely chopped onion and squid ink over medium heat until softened but not brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the rice and, stirring constantly, cook until opaque, about 2 minutes. Add the white wine, then the shellfish cooking liquid, ladle by ladle, until the rice is covered. Turn the heat to high and, stirring constantly, continue to cook, maintaining the level of liquid just above the level of rice, for 15 minutes. Chop the cuttlefish into 1-inch pieces and toss into the rice. Continue cooking until rice is soft but still al dente. Season with salt and pepper, remove from heat and stir in butter and parsley. Serve immediately.
Recipe copyright 2001, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.