Farro Soup in the Style of Lucca: Minestra di Faro Lucchese
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, white and light green part only, thinly sliced
- 1 cup faro (may substitute wheat berries)
- 1 (12-ounce) can borlotti beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fresh green peas
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/4-inch half moons
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, cut into chiffonade
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
In a 10-inch Dutch oven or stockpan, heat the olive oil over a medium-high flame until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, celery, and leek and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and light golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the faro, beans, and tomato paste, stirring so that the tomato paste is spread throughout the pan. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Add water until the mixture is completely covered. Let the liquid come to a boil then lower the heat and let the soup simmer gently for 30 minutes.
Add the peas and the carrots, stirring to combine, and continue to cook for another 30 minutes, adding more water when necessary to keep the soup from getting to dry.
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali