Fettuccine With Lobster, Tomatoes and Saffron
- 3 2 -pound spiny lobsters, steamed 10 minutes and cooled (may sub 4 1/2 pounds Maine lobsters)
- Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/8 inch julienne
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 2 medium waxy potatoes, cut into 1/8 inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound overripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch dice with juices
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Pinch of saffron
- 1 1/2 pounds fettuccine
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
- Remove the lobster meat from the shells and cut into 1/4-inch pieces.
Bring 8 quarts water to a boil in a large spaghetti pot and add 2 tablespoons salt.
In a 14-inch saute pan, heat the olive oil until smoking. Add the onion, celery, potatoes and garlic and saute until golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes, wine and saffron and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer 3 minutes. Drop the fettuccine into the boiling water and cook to one minute less than the package instructions. Just before it is done, carefully ladle 1/2 cup of the cooking water into the pan with the sauce. Add the lobster to the tomato sauce in the pan and toss through. Drain the pasta in a colander and dump into the pan with the sauce, add the chives and toss over medium heat about 30 seconds until nicely coated. Pour into a heated bowl and serve.
Photograph by David Malosh
Thank you! your flag was submitted.