- 6 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons anise seeds
- Anise oil, as needed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, and 1 additional egg, or
- 1/4 cup amaretto and an additional 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Note: You will need a pizzelle iron to make these cookies.
In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar and oil and mix until well combined. Add the flour, baking powder, anise seeds, anise oil, and optional ingredients if desired, and mix well to form a homogenous batter. Set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Heat the pizzelle iron until very hot. Pour 2 tablespoons of batter onto the iron, close it, and return to the heat. Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Repeat until all the batter is used.
Recipe courtesy Mario Batali