Green Apple Risotto
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 1/8-inch pieces
- 1 -1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine, such as Albana di Romagna
- 4 to 5 cups homemade chicken stock, simmering
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 bunch Italian flat leaf parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a 12- to 14-inch saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons sweet butter and virgin olive oil until, melted together. Add onion and cook over medium heat until soft and not yet browned. Add apples and rice and cook about 3 to 4 minutes, until rice has acquired a pearly opaque quality. Add the wine and simmer until evaporated.
Add enough warm chicken stock to cover rice and cook until the level of the liquid goes down below the top of the rice. Continue cooking, adding stock and stirring constantly until most of stock is gone, about 15 to 18 minutes.
The rice should be tender and still retain an "al dente" bite. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, grated cheese and parsley and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with additional grated cheese on the side.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.