Lemon Scented Meatballs: Polpettine al Limone
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 large egg
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 4 lemons, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup, plus extra for garnish
- 4 slices white sandwich bread, soaked in 2/3 cup milk, then torn into chunks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- All-purpose flour, for dredging
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
In a large mixing bowl, combine the veal, egg, garlic, lemon zest, Parmigiano, parsley, and the bread chunks, stirring with a wooden spoon until well mixed. Salt and pepper, to taste.
Using your hands, mold the meat mixture into small meatballs, polpettine, about the size of golf balls. Place the flour in a shallow bowl and dredge each meatball through the flour, shaking off any excess flour.
In a 14-inch saute pan, heat the oil over a medium flame until hot but not smoking. Add the meatballs, and cook over a gentle heat, turning occasionally, until cooked through and golden brown on all sides, about 25 minutes.
Pour the lemon juice over the meatballs when they are cooked, making sure that each meatball absorbs some of the juice and lemon flavor. Garnish with parsley and chili flakes. Serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.