- 1 pound eggplant, stems and ends removed, cut into 1/4-inch thick half moons
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Dredge the eggplant in the flour and bat against hand to remove excess. Dip in the egg, turning to completely coat. Dip in the bread crumbs, coating completely.
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat the olive oil until just smoking. Add the butter and heat until it foams and subsides. Cook the eggplant in the pan, turning so that both sides are uniformly dark golden brown. Remove from the pan, season with salt and pepper and drain briefly on a plate lined with paper towels. Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar and serve immediately with Tomato Bruschette.
- 3 ripe tomatoes large dice
- 12 basil leaves cut into ribbons
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Crusty Italian bread sliced 1/2-inch thick and grilled
Combine tomatoes, basil, olive oil and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Serve on top of grilled bread.