Neapolitan Meat Sauce: Ragu Napoletano
- 1/2 pound veal, cut into chunks
- 1/2 pound beef chuck, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 2 (28-ounce) cans peeled San Marzano tomatoes and juices, passed through a food mill
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausages
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch hot chile flakes
Add the wine and cook, stirring constantly, until wine evaporates and meat is darker brown, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, sausages, salt, and chile flakes. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 2 1/2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally and skimming fat as necessary.
Remove from heat and remove meat from ragu. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.