- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped into 1/4 inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 28 ounce can Italian plum tomatoes, squeezed by hand
- 2 sprigs basil
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 pound macaroni rigatoni
- 1/2 pound ricotta salata, coarsely grated
Bring 6 quarts water to boil and add 2 tablespoons salt.
In a 12 to 14 inch saute pan, heat olive oil until smoking. Add onions and garlic and cool until soft yet not browned, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add eggplant and cook, stirring regularly until softened and lightly browned, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil and thyme and bring to a boil. Simmer 15 minutes and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Boil pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Drain well and pour hot pasta into pan with eggplant mixture. Toss to coat and serve immediately, spooning ricotta salata over each portion.
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali