Penne with Cauliflower: Penne con Cavolofiore
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 pounds tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped, or 4 cups plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1/2 cup very hot water, plus 6 quarts
- 2 tablespoons salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 pound dry penne
- 2 bunches Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/2 cup
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated caciocavallo, Parmigiano-Reggiano or pecorino
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat and add garlic. Cook gently until softened and very light golden brown, then add tomatoes and cook, stirring, until tomatoes begin to break down. Add cauliflower and mix well. Stir in 1/2 cup very hot water, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender.
Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons salt. Add the penne, and cook according to package directions, until tender yet al dente.
Drain apenne and add to the pan with the cauliflower. Stir in parsley and black pepper, to taste, and toss 1 minute over high heat. Divide evenly among 6 warmed pasta bowls, top with grated cheese, and serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.