- 2 (2 1/2 to 3 pound) chickens, cleaned and trimmed
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon plus 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 bunches Italian parsley, leaves only
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Chili oil, recipe follows
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Season the chicken inside and out with salt and pepper. Truss the chickens and brush each one with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place in 1 or 2 roasting pans and roast until browned but only half-cooked, about 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the 4 tablespoons black pepper, a pinch of salt and the mustard and stir well to combine. Drizzle in the 1 tablespoon olive oil and mix well.
Once the chickens are half-cooked, remove from the oven and brush each with the black pepper and mustard mixture. Return to the oven and continue roasting until the juices run clear from a pricked spot, about another 30 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before carving. While the chicken rests, in a medium-sized bowl, combine the parsley, red onion, tomatoes, remaining 3 tablespoons oil, sherry vinegar and salt and pepper, to taste, and toss well to combine.
Allow 1 breast and 1 leg per portion. Drizzle each portion with the pan juices and hot chili oil, top with the parsley salad and serve immediately.
HOT CHILI OIL:
- OLIO PICCANTE
- 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 jalapeno peppers, coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons red chili flakes
In a small saucepan, combine the oil, pepper and chili flakes. Heat to 140 degrees F and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit overnight or for 8 hours. Strain out solids. Yield: 2 cups