Potato Cake from Napoli (Gatto)
- 4 pounds baking potatoes, about 16
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup fresh ricotta
- 1 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 cup freshly grated Pecorino
- 1/2 pound soppressata, cut into 1-inch batons
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small dots
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into tiny cubes, less than a 1/4-inch
Preheat oven to 450 F.
Fill a pasta pot with water and add the whole potatoes. Bring the water to a boil and cook until tender, about 45 minutes. Drain and peel the potatoes and pass them through a food mill. While the potatoes are still warm, place them in a mixing bowl and combine the eggs, ricotta, cheeses, soppressata, milk and parsley. Stir just enough to evenly mix.
Butter a 12-inch springform pan with 2 tablespoons of butter and dust with breadcrumbs. Place half of the potato mixture into the pan and gently smooth it to the edges. Sprinkle the mozzarella over the potato mixture, to within 1/2 inch of the outer edge, but not over. Smear the remaining potato mixture over carefully, and smooth with a wet spatula. Sprinkle with remaining bread crumbs and dot with remaining butter.
Place the gatto in the oven and cook 25 to 30 minutes, until light golden brown on top. Remove from oven, let stand 15 minutes, unmold and serve in slices.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Potato Cakes with Fried Eggs and Turkey-Red Pepper Hash, Andouille Potato Cakes with Fresh Corn and Tomato Salsa, Mustard Potato Cakes, Sweet Potato Casserole Recipes, Sweet Potato Pie Recipes, Baked Potato Recipes, Gnocchi Recipes, Potato Salad Recipes, Mashed Potato Recipes