Salt Cod, Amalfi Style (Bacala All'Amalfitana)
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed 3 times and drained
- 1 tablespoon hot chili flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes, juices drained and reserved, tomatoes crushed by hand
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 pounds dried baccala, in pieces as evenly thick as possible SEE NOTE BELOW
- 1/4 cup cut fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint, cut into chiffonade
- Baccala must be soaked in the refrigerator for 48 hours in 3 gallons of very cold water, changing the water at least twice a day, before this dish is started.
- Cut the soaked baccala into 2-inch pieces and set aside.
In a 6 to 8 quart pot with sides at least 4 inches high, heat the oil until smoking. Add the onion, the capers and the chili flakes and cook 8 to 10 minutes, until soft and light golden brown. Add the tomatoes, their juices and the white wine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the baccala pieces and simmer 25 minutes, turning the fish once very carefully. Remove from heat, sprinkle with parsley and mint and serve warm or at room temperature.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.