Scallops with Mushrooms
- 12 large sea scallops
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound mixed mushrooms (including oyster, chanterelle, and cremini), sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 heads frisee, washed and spun dry
- Best-quality extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Season the scallops with pepper only and set aside.
In a 10 to 12-inch non-stick pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until smoking. Place the scallops in and do not move them. Allow them to cook until crisp and golden brown, unmoved for 5 to 6 minutes.
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat remaining oil until smoking over high heat. Add the shallots and saute until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and toss 3 to 4 minutes until softened. Add vinegar and then the frisee. Toss quickly, season with salt and pepper and divide among 4 plates. Without turning the scallops, remove and arrange 3 on each salad. Drizzle with the high-quality oil and serve.
Recipe copyright 2001, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved
Recipe courtesy of Anne Burrell