Scungilli alla Sorrentina
- 2 pounds fresh scungilli or conch
- 1 wine cork
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped into 1/4inch dice
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, leaves only, about 2 tablespoons
- 1 yellow bell pepper, stemmed and seeded, chopped into 1/1/4 inch dice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 Italian Roma tomatoes, chopped into 1/1/4 inch dice and 3/4 cup
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons cut into wedges
Place scungilli in a pot and cover with water. Add a wine cork and 2 tablespoons vinegar and boil 1 hour until tender. Drain and cool. Slice into 1/1/4 inch rounds and set aside. In a tall sauce pan (6 to 8 quarts), heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, thyme leaves and bell pepper and cook until softened, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add wine, tomato pieces and scungilli and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and cook 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve in shallow bowls with lemon wedges.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.