Spaghetti with a Hole and Artichokes: Bucatini al Ragu con Carciofi
- 4 tablespoons plus 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound ground pork shoulder
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cans tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can peeled San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 2 medium artichokes, trimmed, choke removed, and quartered
- 10 mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon hot chile flakes
- 2 cups oil
- 1 pound bucatini
- 1/4 pound fresh ricotta
In a 14 to 16-inch saute pan, heat 4 tablespoons olive oil until just smoking. Add the onion and garlic, and saute until soft and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the pork and beef cook until meat is beyond gray and beginning to brown in its own fat, about 20 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook for 12 to 15 minutes. Add the wine and the tomatoes, reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for 1 hour.
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, combine the artichokes, mint leaves and chili flakes and 2 cups oil. Bring the oil to a boil and turn off the heat, allowing the artichokes to cool in the oil.
Meanwhile, drain the artichokes from the oil and add to the pan with the ragu. When the pasta is ready, drain it and add it to the ragu and the artichokes. Toss over high heat 1 minute, until pasta is dressed with sauce. Divide among 4 warmed pasta bowls and serve each with 1/4 of the ricotta in the center of the portion.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.