Turnip Kraut: Brovada
- 4 pounds turnips, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch batons
- 8 cups water
- 4 cups red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 2 pounds red grapes, chopped roughly in a food processor
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Serving suggestions: grilled sausages or pork shank (stinco)
Place the turnips in a 2-gallon ceramic jar. In a mixing bowl, stir together the water, vinegar, sugar, salt and crushed grapes and pour over turnips. Cover and refrigerate for 48 hours.
Two days later: In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat the olive oil until smoking over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add flour and caraway and stir through. Drain turnips and add to pan. Cook until very soft, careful not to break the turnips, about 1 hour. Serve with grilled sausages or pork shank (stinco).
Thank you! your flag was submitted.