Zuppa di Pesce from Amalfi
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups basic tomato sauce, recipe follows
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 8 giant crayfish
- 8 mussels, scrubbed, bearded and rinsed
- 8 razor clams
- 4 young red mullet
- 4 (1-inch thick) slices country bread
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 bunches Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/2 cup
- 1 bunch fresh marjoram, leaves only
- BASIC TOMATO SAUCE
- All recipes copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All rights reserved
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped in 1/4-inch dice
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, or 1 tablespoon dried
- 1/2 medium carrot, finely shredded
- 2 (28-ounce) cans peeled whole tomatoes, crushed by hand and juices reserved
- Salt, to taste
In a large casserole, heat the olive oil over moderate heat.
Add the celery, garlic, onion, and pepper flakes and cook until translucent, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, wine and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the fish, and shellfish, cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and reduce the heat to a simmer until the shellfish have opened, 5 to 6 minutes.
Toast the bread and, while still hot, rub with the garlic. Lay 1 slice in each of 4 bowls. Divide the seafood among the 4 bowls, then divide the broth among the bowls, and sprinkle each bowl with parsley. Garnish with marjoram leaves. Serve immediately.
In a 3-quart saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and light golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the thyme and carrot and cook 5 minutes more, until the carrot is quite soft. Add the tomatoes and juice and bring to a boil, stirring often. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until as thick as hot cereal. Season with salt and serve. This sauce holds 1 week in the refrigerator or up to 6 months in the freezer. Yield: 4 cups
Thank you! your flag was submitted.