The antipasti platter includes a selection of quick-pickled veggies, roasted peppers in garlic oil, seasoned olives, and some cured meats, such as dry salami and plain ham (keeping within the budget).
For the Pickled Cauliflower and Carrots:
- 1/4 head cauliflower, sliced into thin florets, 1 3/4 cups
- 8 ounces carrots, sliced lengthwise into thin sticks
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
For the grilled peppers:
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil, to cover
For the olives:
- 1 (6-ounce) can pitted large black olives, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
To make the Pickled Cauliflower and Carrots:
Place the cauliflower, carrots, onion, and oregano in a shallow heat-proof glass or nonreactive bowl. Bring the sugar, salt, vinegar, and water to a boil in a small pot, stirring until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Pour the hot brine over the vegetables, stir to combine and cover with plastic wrap. Let the vegetables stand, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Serve at room temperature or place in the refrigerator and chill for 1 hour or up to 2 days.
To make the Grilled Peppers:
Preheat a grill, broiler or oven on high heat. Grill, broil or roast the peppers until the skin is black and blistered. Place in a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand about 15 minutes, or until cool enough to handle, but still warm. Rub the skin off the peppers, then seed and cut into about 1-inch slices. Place in a jam jar or small container and season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and pour in the olive oil until peppers are completely covered. Let stand about 30 minutes and serve at room temperature or place in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, keep covered with oil.
To make the olives:
Mix the olives, parsley, garlic, basil, oregano, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, and olive oil in a bowl and let the olives marinate for 30 minutes before serving.