- 1 pound large prawns (size 16 to 20 or larger), shells on
- 1/2 cup citrus olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 20 minutes, or metal skewers
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Citrus Aioli, optional, recipe follows
Preheat grill or broiler.
When ready to cook, thread prawns on skewers and discard marinade. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and grill or broil, turning once, until just done, 2 to 3 minutes.
Shrimp can be served warm or at room temperature. They are delicious on their own or with Citrus Aioli.
Cook's Note: Leaving the shells on the prawns protects them from drying out during cooking. This method works so well that I use it often when preparing shrimp or prawns for salads, pasta, pizza, and sandwiches. Simply reduce the cooking time if they will later be cooked more, for instance as part of a sauce or pizza topping. Peel shrimp after they come off the grill.
Quick Citrus Aioli:
1 cup prepared mayonnaise
2 lemons, zested
1 lemon, juiced
Freshly ground black pepper
In a bowl, mix the garlic paste with remaining ingredients and serve. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.