- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) boneless pork butt, cut into 3-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 small can tomato puree
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 1 orange, halved and juiced
- 1 lime, halved and juiced
- 1 package corn tortillas, warmed
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Zesty Slaw, recipe follows
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Mix the oregano, chipotle powder, cumin, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
Season the cubed pork chunks with the spice mixture and put into a large Dutch oven. Add the onion, garlic, chicken stock, the tomato puree, honey, orange and lime juice, and the juiced orange and lime halves. Stir together with a wooden spoon. Put the pot on medium heat and bring the mixture to a simmer. Transfer to the oven and cook, covered, until the pork is tender and easily shreds, about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Remove the meat from the Dutch oven to a cutting board. Set the Dutch oven over medium heat and reduce the liquid until it becomes slightly syrupy, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, shred the meat and add to a bowl. Drizzle the reduced cooking liquid into the pork and toss. Serve with tortillas, cilantro, sour cream and Zesty Slaw.