- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- Barbecue sauce, for topping
Heat oil in a large skillet with straight sides. Add the bell peppers and garlic. Saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the ground beef to the vegetables. Stir and cook about 8 minutes, until the meat is no longer pink and fully cooked.
Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire, and hot sauce into the skillet. Stir. Simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Serve on hamburger bun with extra sauce.