50 Things to Make with Avocados
Choose from snacks, dinners and more.
1. Egg-in-a-Hole Avocado Toast Cut a 2-inch hole out of a slice of lightly toasted bread. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium heat; add the bread and crack 1 egg into the hole. Cook until the bottom of the egg starts to set, about 2 minutes. Transfer to the oven and bake at 375 degrees F until the egg white is set but the yolk is still runny, 4 to 5 minutes. Mash 1/2 avocado and season with hot sauce, salt and pepper; spread on the toast around the egg. Top with chopped chives and cilantro.
2. Avocado Breakfast Sandwich Spread 1 toasted whole-grain roll with chipotle mayonnaise on one side and warmed refried beans on the other side. Fill with a fried egg, 1/2 sliced avocado and some shredded lettuce and chopped pickled jalapenos.
3. Chili-Avocado Savory Pancakes Whisk 1 1/2 cups flour with 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon each chili powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk 1 1/4cups milk with 1/4 cup avocado oil, 1 egg and 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest; whisk into the flour mixture. Cook 1/4 cupfuls in a hot buttered nonstick skillet, sprinkling with diced avocado before flipping. Serve with sour cream and hot sauce. (Makes about 12.)
4. Banana-Avocado Muffins Beat 1 ripe banana, 1 avocado and 3/4 cup sugar with a mixer on medium speed until combined. Beat in 1 egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Sift in 2 cups flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and salt; beat until combined. Add 1 cup buttermilk; beat until smooth. Stir in 3/4 cup chopped pecans. Divide the batter among 12 lined and greased muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees F until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Avocado-Mango Smoothies Puree 1 chopped small avocado, 1 frozen sliced banana, 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 cup baby spinach, 1/2 cup each frozen mango and ice and 2 teaspoons agave syrup in a blender until smooth. Pour into 2 glasses.
6. Avocado-Walnut Pesto Puree 1 avocado, 1 cup each fresh basil and parsley, 1/4 cup each walnuts and grated parmesan, 1 garlic clove, 2 tablespoons water, the juice of 1/2 lemon and 1/2 teaspoon each kosher salt and red pepper flakes. With the machine running, gradually add 1/4 cup olive oil. Toss with 1 pound cooked pasta. Top with more parmesan.
7. Fresh Avocado Pasta Mash 1 avocado with 1/2 cup water in a large bowl with a fork until smooth. Gradually stir in 3 cups flour until a dough forms. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Roll out as thin as possible; cut into 1/2-inch-wide noodles. Cook in salted boiling water until tender, 2 to 4 minutes; drain and toss with avocado oil or butter and chopped fresh herbs. (Makes 1 pound pasta.)
8. Asian Avocado Salsa Toss 2 diced avocados with 2 diced Persian cucumbers, 2 sliced scallions, 1 tablespoon each rice vinegar and soy sauce and 1 teaspoon each Sriracha, toasted sesame oil and grated peeled fresh ginger. Season with salt. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
9. Avocado Hand Rolls Make Asian Avocado Salsa (No. 8). Cook 1/2 cup sushi rice as the label directs. Spread the rice on one side of 4 halved nori sheets (seaweed) and top with the salsa; roll into cones. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
10. Avocado Summer Rolls One at a time, soak 6 rice paper wrappers in warm water until pliable, 15 to 30 seconds. Top each with a small lettuce leaf, some julienned carrot, red bell pepper and cucumber, a few mint and cilantro leaves, bean sprouts and some sliced avocado. Fold the bottom edge over the filling, fold in the sides, then roll up. (Keep covered with wet paper towels until ready to serve.) Serve with peanut sauce.
11. Caribbean Avocado Salad Whisk 2 tablespoons each olive oil, lime juice, lemon juice and orange juice with 2 teaspoons honey, 1/2 teaspoon habanero hot sauce and 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt in a medium bowl. Add 1/2 diced avocado, the segments of 1/2 orange, 1 cup diced peeled jicama and 1/4 cup thinly sliced radishes; toss. Serve with plantain chips.
12. Crab Salad–Stuffed Avocados Combine 8 ounces lump crabmeat with 1 tablespoon each mayonnaise and sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon each Dijon mustard and lemon juice and a pinch each of cayenne and salt. Divide among 4 halved small avocados. Sprinkle with paprika and top with chopped chives and crumbled cooked bacon.
13. Avocado-Shrimp Ceviche Toss 1 pound chopped cooked shrimp with 1/2 cup each chopped mango and cilantro, 1/3 cup each sliced red onion and lime juice, 1 minced small Fresno chile (seeded) and 2 teaspoons honey. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Fold in 2 chopped avocados. Season with salt and hot sauce.
14. Classic Guacamole Pulse 1/3 cup chopped cilantro, 1/4 cup chopped white onion and 2 chopped serrano chiles (remove seeds for less heat) in a mini food processor to make a paste. Combine with 3 avocados in a bowl and mash until chunky. Stir in 1 chopped plum tomato and 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
15. Poblano Guacamole Char 2 poblano chiles over an open flame, turning. Let cool, then peel, seed and finely chop. Mash 3 avocados; stir in the poblanos, 1/2 chopped white onion, 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, 1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers, the juice of 2 limes and 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
16. Curried Guacamole Mash 3 avocados with 4 teaspoons curry powder. Stir in 1/2 cup each chopped red onion, cilantro, tomato and mango, the juice of 2 limes, 1 tablespoon mango chutney and 1 chopped small jalapeno. Serve with naan.
17. Chunky Grilled Guacamole Brush 3 halved avocados (in their skins), 2 halved scallions, 2 halved limes, 1 halved jalapeno and 1 halved red onion with vegetable oil. Grill cut-sides down over medium-high heat until charred, 5 to 7 minutes. Roughly chop the grilled vegetables and avocado, then squeeze in the lime juice. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
18. Avocado Deviled Eggs Peel and halve 6 hard-boiled eggs. Scoop out the yolks and pulse with 1/2 avocado, 3 tablespoons creme fraiche and 1/2 teaspoon each Dijon mustard and kosher salt in a mini food processor until smooth. Fold in 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon. Pipe or spoon the yolk mixture into the whites.
19. Chunky Guacamole Deviled Eggs Peel and halve 6 hard-boiled eggs. Scoop out the yolks and mash with 1 avocado, 2 tablespoons finely chopped tomato, 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro, 1/2 finely chopped Fresno chile (remove seeds for less heat) and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Spoon the yolk mixture into the whites.
20. Avocado “Scotch Eggs” Divide 3 ounces bulk breakfast sausage among the centers of 2 halved peeled avocados; press until compact. Roll the avocado halves in flour, dip in beaten egg, then roll in panko. Fry in 1 1/2 inches 325 degrees F vegetable oil, turning, until the sausage is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Season with salt.
21. Loaded Avocado Skins Sprinkle 1 halved avocado (in its skin) with 1/4 cup shredded cheddar and broil until the cheese melts, about 1 minute. Top with sour cream, chopped pickled jalapenos, crumbled cooked bacon and sliced scallions.
22. Avocado Caesar Salad Puree 1/2 avocado with 3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons water, the juice of 1 lemon, 1 garlic clove, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, 2 anchovies, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of pepper in a blender until smooth. Toss with 2 chopped romaine hearts, 2 cups croutons, 1 1/2 chopped avocados and 1/4 cup grated parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.
23. Avocado Ranch Dip Puree 1 avocado with 1/4 cup each mayonnaise and buttermilk, 2 tablespoons each water, chopped dill, parsley and scallions, 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt in a blender until smooth. Serve with crudites or as a salad dressing.
24. Avocado Onion Dip Make Avocado Ranch Dip (No. 23), replacing the mayonnaise and buttermilk with 1/2 cup sour cream and the dill with more chopped scallions. Season with 1/2 teaspoon onion powder.
25. Avocado-Edamame Dip Puree 2 avocados with 2 cups cooked shelled edamame, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, 4 teaspoons soy sauce and 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt in a food processor, adding up to 1/3 cup water as needed to loosen. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped scallions. Sprinkle with shichimi togarashi (Japanese spice mix).
26. Avocado-Tahini Dip Puree 1 avocado with 1/3 cup tahini, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 small garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, adding up to 1/3 cup water as needed to loosen. Sprinkle with paprika.
27. Everything Avocado Dip Toast 1 teaspoon each dried minced onion, poppy seeds and sesame seeds and 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds in a dry skillet. Puree 1 chopped avocado and 4 ounces cream cheese with the seasoning mixture and 1 teaspoon coarse salt.
28. Everything Avocado Dip with Salmon Make Everything Avocado Dip (No. 27); stir in 1 ounce finely chopped smoked salmon, 2 tablespoons each minced cucumber and tomato, 1 tablespoon each minced red onion and capers and 2 teaspoons chopped dill.
29. Avocado Tempura Whisk 1 cup each flour and cold seltzer with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Cut 2 avocados into 8 wedges each; dip in the batter, then deep-fry in 360 degrees F vegetable oil until crisp, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and shichimi togarashi (Japanese spice mix). Serve with ponzu sauce.
30. Avocado Flatbread with Soppressata Make Avocado-Walnut Pesto (No. 6). Toast the bottoms of 2 pieces naan bread in a dry nonstick skillet. Top each with 1/4 cup of the pesto, 4 thin slices fresh mozzarella, 2 tablespoons thinly sliced soppressata and some torn basil; drizzle with olive oil and season with pepper.
31. Avocado Toast with Gravlax Mash 1/2 avocado with 1 tablespoon horseradish, 1 sliced scallion and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Spread on 2 slices toasted multigrain bread and top with sliced gravlax, pomegranate seeds and more sliced scallions.
32. Nacho Avocado Toast Mash 1 avocado with the juice of 1 lime and 1/8 teaspoon each chili powder and ground cumin; season with salt. Divide 1 cup shredded cheddar among 4 slices toasted country bread; broil until bubbling. Top with the mashed avocado and some crushed blue tortilla chips, sour cream and cilantro.
33. Avocado Steak Sauce Puree 1 avocado with 2 cups cilantro (leaves and tender stems), 2 chopped scallions, 1 small chopped jalapeno, 1/4 cup each toasted pepitas and olive oil, 1 cup cold water and the juice of 3 limes in a blender until smooth; season with salt. Serve with grilled steak.
34. Balsamic Avocado Boats Simmer 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar with 2 teaspoons honey, 1 smashed garlic clove, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and a pinch of red pepper flakes over medium heat until slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes; let cool. Discard the garlic. Season 2 halved avocados (in their skins) with salt and red pepper flakes; spoon the balsamic reduction into the centers.
35. Grilled Avocados Whisk 1 tablespoon each water, tahini and olive oil with the juice of 1/2 lemon. Brush 2 halved avocados (in their skins) with olive oil. Grill cut-sides down over medium-high heat until marked, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons za’atar and some flaky sea salt. Drizzle with the tahini sauce.
36. Spicy Avocado Wedges Whisk 1 tablespoon each chili-garlic sauce, rice vinegar and vegetable oil. Slice 2 avocados into wedges; season with salt and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon each crushed toasted coriander and cumin seeds.
37. Chilled Avocado Soup Shooters Puree 1 1/2 avocados in a blender with 1 chopped Persian cucumber, 1 1/2 cups cold water, 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup each parsley and mint leaves, 2 chopped scallions, the juice of 1 lemon and 3 pickled jalapenos plus 1 to 2 tablespoons brine. Season with salt. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Serve in small glasses; top with diced avocado and cucumber.
38. Mexican Grilled Corn with Avocado Pulse 1 avocado, 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, the juice of 1 lime and 1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin and kosher salt in a food processor. Spread on 6 grilled ears of corn; roll in 1/2 cup crumbled Cotija cheese. Sprinkle with chili powder and top with chopped cilantro.
39. Avocado Cheese Spread Puree 1/2 avocado with 4 ounces cream cheese and 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt in a food processor until smooth. Beat 1/2 cup chilled heavy cream with a mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the avocado mixture. Transfer to a cheesecloth-lined sieve and let drain 2 hours in the refrigerator. Stir in 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro.
40. Avocado Cheese Ball Puree 1 avocado, 8 ounces cream cheese, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1/2 grated garlic clove, 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a food processor until smooth. Stir in 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese, 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro and 1 thinly sliced scallion. Form into a ball and coat with crushed chili-flavored corn nuts. Refrigerate 2 hours.
41. Lobster-Avocado Sliders Mash 1/2 avocado with 2 tablespoons mayonnaise and the juice of 1 lemon. Fold in 2 cups chopped cooked lobster, 1/2 cup chopped celery and 1/4 cup each celery leaves and chopped chives; season with salt. Serve on 10 to 12 buttered toasted slider rolls; top with sliced avocado.
42. Avocado-Bacon Grilled Cheese Mash 1/2 small avocado with 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard. Sandwich the avocado mixture, 3 slices cooked bacon and 2 slices cheddar between 2 slices bread. Cook in a buttered skillet over medium-low heat until the cheese melts, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
43. Avocado Aioli Puree 1 avocado with 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 smashed garlic clove and the juice of 1/2 lemon; season with salt and pepper. Serve with french fries.
44. Avocado Potato Salad Make Avocado Aioli (No. 43). Cook 2 pounds cubed red potatoes in simmering salted water until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and toss with 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar and 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard. Let cool slightly. Toss with the aioli, 1/2 cup chopped celery and 1/3 cup each chopped cornichons, parsley and scallions. Season with salt and pepper. Fold in 2 chopped avocados.
45. Avocado Egg Salad Mix 3 tablespoons mayonnaise with 2 teaspoons each white wine vinegar and Dijon mustard. Add 6 chopped hard-boiled eggs, 1 chopped avocado and 2 tablespoons each chopped parsley and chives; season with salt and pepper.
46. Avocado Whipped Cream Puree 1 avocado in a mini food processor until smooth. Beat 1 cup chilled heavy cream with 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold in the avocado puree. Serve on pound cake.
47. Avocado Ice Box Cake Make Avocado Whipped Cream (No. 46); spread 1 teaspoon on each of 20 thin almond or ginger cookies. Press together and stand on their edges to form a log; cover with the remaining whipped cream. Refrigerate until the cookies soften, 2 hours. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios.
48. Mini Avocado Pies Beat 1 chopped avocado and 4 ounces cream cheese with a mixer on medium-high speed until smooth. Add 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk, 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice, 2 teaspoons lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Divide among 6 mini graham cracker pie crusts; press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of each. Refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours. Top with whipped cream.
49. Avocado Ice Cream Puree 2 large avocados with 1 1/4cups whole milk, 3/4 cup sugar, the juice of 2 limes and a pinch of salt in a blender until smooth. Stir in 1 1/4cups heavy cream. Refrigerate at least 2 hours. Churn in an ice cream maker; freeze until firm.
50. Brownies with Avocado Beat 2 mashed avocados with 3/4 cup sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed. Beat in 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla, then beat in 4 ounces melted chocolate. Sift in 1/4 cup each all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour and cocoa powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt; beat until combined. Fold in 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. Spread in a buttered foil-lined 8-inch square pan; bake at 350 degrees F until set, 35 to 40 minutes.
The slow cooker's ability to cook dinner while you're away at work is only one of its many merits. Breakfast, lunch, dessert, party food and even holiday gifts are made infinitely easier when left to the gentle heat of a slow cooker.