Pan-fried Red Snapper Fillet with Corn Cream Creole Sauce
- 2 tablespoons achiote oil
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons red and green peppers, finely chopped
- 1 small tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 sweet chile peppers (Serrano or Anaheim), finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh cilantro, plus extra sprigs, for garnish
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups fresh corn, cut from cobs
- 1 cup fish stock
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 pounds fresh red snapper fillet, cut into 4 pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Lightly toasted and crushed coriander seeds, for garnish
In a large saucepan, heat the achiote oil over medium heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, tomato, chile peppers, garlic, cilantro, bay leaf, salt, and pepper, and stir-fry for about 4 minutes. Add the corn and fish stock and cook over medium heat for about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Transfer to a blender process until smooth on high speed.* Pour the sauce through a fine strainer into a saucepan, add the evaporated milk, and warm over low heat.
Dilute the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Add to the saucepan, mix well, and incorporate the butter with a whisk. Taste for seasoning and and cook for about 5 minutes. Keep warm.
Generously season both sides of the fish with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over high heat. When oil is hot, place the fillets in the skillet, skin side down, and cook for 3 minutes, without turning. Flip onto other side and cook for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat to a platter.
Spoon the warm sauce in the center of each dinner plate. Top with a fish portion. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and the toasted and crushed coriander seeds.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.