I come from a family of eaters and have carried on the tradition even though I am a single mother. My daughter's favorite breakfast on Sunday is papas. She wakes up to the smells of love from Mom and all is right in her world.
- 1 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 pound sausage, in a tube, removed from casing
- 4 to 5 potatoes (peeled or not) chopped in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper or cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 package flour tortillas
- 4 to 12 eggs (cooked "over-medium")
- 1 bag grated Mexican blend cheese
- 2 cups Green Chile Sauce, recipe follows
I use the heaviest pan in my home. Cast iron works the best but the Dutch oven works, too.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Stir the bacon and sausage on medium heat until halfway cooked. Add the potatoes, onion, and garlic. Stir to combine and add the spices. Cook another 5 minutes and place pan or pot into the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir the papas once or twice to avoid any sticking and to get some yummy color. Warm up tortillas. Prepare eggs. Take papas out of oven and serve steaming hot with cheese, chile sauce, eggs, tortillas and giggles.
Green Chile Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound Anaheim (mild) chiles, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cream of mushroom soup
- 2 tablespoons cream of chicken soup
In a large saute pan heat olive oil and add onions, garlic, chiles and salt. Saute until onions are translucent and chiles have begun to soften. Stir in soups and cook until it bubbles. In a blender or with an immersion blender, puree for 30 seconds.
Yield: approximately 1 1/2 cups
Nutritional analysis per serving:
Calories 830; Total Fat 61 g; (Sat Fat 23 g, Mono Fat 21 g, Poly Fat 5.5 g) ; Protein 29 g; Carb 38 g; Fiber 1.5 g; Cholesterol 213 mg; Sodium 1955 mg
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Click here to view Food Network Kitchen's healthier version of this recipe.