Barley Greek Salad
- 1 cup pearled barley
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups yellow and red cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, ribs removed and diced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
Combine the barley, 3 cups water and a pinch salt in a medium-size saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the barley is tender, about 45 minutes. Drain in a colander and let cool.
Combine the tomatoes, feta, olives, mint, bell pepper and shallots in a bowl. Add the cooled barley.
Whisk together the red wine vinegar and olive oil in a separate small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Dress the salad and toss. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Cook's Note: It's best to make the barley salad at least 3 hours ahead of time so the flavors have time to mingle.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.