Neely's Chicken Taco Salad
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup plain low fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 cup hand-crushed baked tortilla chips
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack-Cheddar cheese blend
- 1 small handful cilantro leaves (about 1/4 cup)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions, red bell peppers, garlic and jalapeno and saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chicken and saute until browned, breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon as you cook. Stir in the chili powder and cumin and let toast for a few stirs. Add the beans and let cook until warmed through.
Mix the yogurt and salsa together in a small bowl.
Toss the chopped lettuce, cherry tomatoes, tortilla chips, cheese, cilantro, sauteed chicken and bean mixture all in a large bowl and dress with the yogurt and salsa.
Recipe courtesy of Ellie Krieger