Mostaccioli with Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce
- 1 pound dried rigatoni pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce, recipe follows
- Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sun-dried tomatoes, diced
- 1 small Spanish onion, diced
- 1 tomato, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
Boil the pasta in salted water until al dente, about 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and put into a large bowl.
Meanwhile, while the pasta is cooking, in a large saute pan over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and cook the ground beef and sausage until browned and cooked through. Remove the mixture from the pan and add to the pasta bowl. Add the remaining olive oil to the pan and saute the peppers and onion until golden brown and tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the peppers and onions to the pasta bowl. Heat the sauce in a saucepan and then pour it over the pasta mixture and toss to coat. Serve hot.
To make Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce:
Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Cook the sun-dried tomatoes and onion for 5 minutes. Add the tomato, garlic, chicken stock, tomato juice, and crushed red pepper and simmer to reduce by 1/4. Add the heavy cream and cook for 1 more minute, then carefully transfer to a food processor or blender. Puree the sauce until smooth. Serve the sauce warm or store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.