Poached Maitake Mushrooms and Fava Beans in Parsnip Broth with Spanish Olive Oil and Epazote
- 1 1/2 pounds parsnips, cleaned and brunoise
- 2 quarts water
- Sea salt
- 1/2 pound maitake mushrooms, diced
- 4 tablespoons epazote sprigs, Mexican herb
- 1/2 cup peeled and blanched fava beans
- 1/4 cup Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
- This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Place parsnips in a saucepan and cover with water. Simmer until the parsnips are soft, about 1 1/2 hours. The reduction of liquid will result in flavor intensity. Pass through a strainer, discard the solids, and season with salt.
For each serving place two or three pieces of maitake mushrooms, and a few sprigs of epazote into a small saucepan. Cover with the hot parsnip broth, and simmer for 3 minutes. Finish with 4 or 5 fava beans and a tablespoon of olive oil. Simmer for 1 minute. Remove the epazote and discard.
To serve, place in a small serving bowl, and garnish with a fresh sprig of epazote.