- Johnnys All-Purpose Rub: A Kansas City Award Winner
- (Use this on everything)
- 5 cups kosher salt
- 2 1/4 cups paprika (for color)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons celery powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 cup black pepper
- 1 tablespoon powdered vegetable oil
- 3 to 5 pounds pork butt, rinsed with cold water
Add all of the rub ingredients to a small bowl or container and mix well. To make this a special spicy rub, add 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper. Now you have a real rockin' rub!
Heat a smoker to 225 degrees F.
Generously rub the entire butt with 1 1/2 cups Johnny's All-Purpose Seasoning. Put it in a pan, cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove pork from the refrigerator, uncover and put it in the smoker for approximately 7 to 8 hours. Cooks Note: This can also be cooked in a home oven at 425 degrees F for 2 hours. Remove the pork from the smoker to a cutting board and pull pork apart while still hot. You are now ready to serve it your favorite way.
* Professional Recipe
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.